Archive for the ‘Domains’ Category
When you decide to set up a web page, there are many things that you need to consider. One of the most important ones is choosing a domain name. Keep in mind that your domain name will represent you or your business.
Tips on Choosing a Domain Name
1. Your domain name and website name should be one in the same. This is an obvious one, but also a necessary one as well.
2. When choosing an extension, .com is the way to go. This will give you a credibility boost by using a .com domain name. This is especially important when you are starting a new business. You can still be successful with a .net domain, yet it may be a little harder. If someone types in your domain.com what will they end up with?
3. Keep it short. A short name will be easier for people to remember. It is also easier for people to type and share with friends. Easy is definitely better when it comes to your domain name. However, if you need to use a longer domain for the name to make sense, then do so. Using a name like suawp.com is shorter, but not easier. In this case setupawebpage.com would be a better way to go.
4. Words with only one spelling will make it harder for people to mistype your web address. As with the length of the domain name, keeping it simple is best.
5. It is best not to use hyphens. It can make it easy for people to type in the wrong web address. Some sites are successful with hyphenated domain names, but sites with hyphenated domains can lose traffic because potential customers forget where the hyphens go or forget them altogether when the type in the URL.
6. Try to avoid using numbers. It can be hard to remember when someone uses “2” for “to”.
There are many things to consider when choosing a domain name for your web site. However, one of the most important one to remember is keep it simple. The easier it is the better. Having an easy domain name will make it easier to remember and easier for people to tell their friends about. We all know word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertising.